We are seeking applications from visual artists to shape the visual identity for our 2023 festival inclusive of poster design and digital assets.
Each year we work with a new visual artist to create a festival identity, complete with a festival visual theme, poster design and design assets (image/illustration pack for social, merch designs, etc).
- Artist Fee: $800
- Submission Deadline: 20 January 2023
- Artists must be currently residing in Canada. We will accept applications from all Canadian visual artists, however, preference will be given to artists from New Brunswick, followed by artists from Nova Scotia, Newfoundland & Labrador and PEI.
- We encourage applications from visual artists of all disciplines, however, your proposed project must be able to be flexible to our digital design requirements (ie: the creation of an image pack that we can tailor to our needs)!
- We encourage applications from artists of all languages. Our team is primarily English-speaking, but we do have some French-speaking capacity to communicate in a business and project setting.
- Artists at any point in their career can apply - we encourage applications from emerging artists.
Scope of Work
We have a defined scope of work to fit the requirement of the festival and the project. Artists are welcome to suggest supporting ideas ie: installation ideas, stage design ideas, etc - but these will be considered separate projects. The chosen visual artist will be working directly with our in-house graphic designer to bring the concept to life and ensure it is flexible and fit for use.
For the purpose of this commission we are looking for:
- 1 x festival theme and overarching idea/identity. This is very broad, and in the past has been everything from spooky space bugs to geometric shapes to crosshatching!
- Poster design. You will work in collaboration with our graphic designer.
- An image pack/graphics that we can utilize as transparent layovers on social (or a suggested alternative to how your idea can flex to be used easily for us to create supporting digital assets).. We create the majority of social posts ourselves and need assets that can be easily used by our team and volunteers to ensure our posts are in keeping with the festival branding.
- Content design for 5 x announcement social posts. This can be repurposed from the main poster design and you will work with our graphic designer to chat about opportunities for this.
- Ad hoc requirements depending on the festival's needs ie: beer can labels, and signage. Again, with a strong initial pack of graphics, we can play around with these to design and produce.
- Any other ideas that you can bring to the table to bring your theme and idea to life!
We will require your time for an initial kick-off meeting and meetings where required with our team and graphic designer. We are very flexible to suit your schedule, and this will all be done digitally.
We will also require your time for review and final sign-off of any ad hoc designs ie: beer cans, and signage. We want to ensure your work is being represented and utilized as you see fit, and we value your expertise!
Examples of previous work:
Please submit the following documents and information to email@example.com with the subject line “Visual Identity Request for Proposal - [ARTIST NAME]”.
- A short biography including where you’re currently located, and a link to any reference material (ie: portfolio, website, social media).
- A description of your idea and approach for the visual identity and your artistic medium. Your description/idea does not have to be fully formed at this point in time, but we'd like an initial idea about what you'd like to do.
- Any previous experience that could be relevant to the project.
- Confirmation that you have the capacity and availability to take on this project and deliver the required material within our timeframe (initial poster must be complete by end of February 2023), with other materials falling into March and April.
Please note that we do not need fully formed ideas, sketches or artwork specific to this project. In fact, we highly discourage it. Please submit only the above requirements to ensure you are not spending too much time on this application!
A short list of applicants may be invited for a short video interview/call. This will be arranged in advance based on your schedule and will last no more than 30 minutes.
If you have any questions, send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will get back to you as soon as we can (please give us a minimum of one week to respond) 🙂